Tuesday, May 22, 2012

So this is what getting up for work feels like

0630 alarm goes off
0716 board bus
0745 arrive train station
0807 board train
0921 arrive Chiusa
1059 depart for Orvieto
1124 arrive Orvieto
1135 take funicular to town
1140 take bus to city center
1200 arrive hotel!

Sometime during the morning trip we realize that this is what getting up for work feels like only we have to get up earlier, works starts at 0715. For me it was worth the early morning. Orvieto is a quaint hill town with a gorgeous few. We toured their stunning Cathedral which held a cloth with blood stains that they claim came from a loaf of bread used for communion (RELIC!!!). The original case for the cloth looked like something from a fairy tale. One of the chapels had brilliant frescoes of the Apocalypse and our guide book had a play by play of it which made it much more enjoyable. We also visited a well. Not just any well, St. Patrick's Well which is a 16th century double helix pattern, 175 foot deep well. It was built in fear that the town would be besieged and had no water source. The double stairs work great for tourists but it was built that way so that there was plenty of room for the donkeys to go up and down. I wish some of the towers we've climbed had the same thing because there were times climbing up a tower in Florence that we were holding on for dear life as people came down.
It's a bit of a shock to us but we are leaving on Friday. I feel like it really crept up and I only realized how close it was when I got an email from a friend about plans we made for Saturday. Surely she can't mean this Saturday? Michaels been without a haircut since Vietnam and said he would not be attending any functions looking like a shaggy Sasquatch. Meanwhile I'm thinking that we'll barely have time to do laundry and we're just about out of clean clothes. Somehow I don't think our friends will care but luckily this is a small town so we found a barber and for 9€ Michael got an Italian haircut from a man who didn't speak a lick of English.

Pics:
- one of the items on Michael finer things list is living/staying somewhere with a spiral staircase. We put a bid on a condo with one once but lost to someone paying cash! Anyway this hotel had suites with spiral staircases in them, I wish I had know because I would have booked it! This is one that goes to the staffs room.
- a first for the Blues, we order a whole bottle of wine, we're so grown up!
- On the way down St. Patrick's well
- Look Marisa no chocolate! I think it's because I'm sick but I was craving strawberry so for the first time since arriving in Italy I had a gelato that wasn't a chocolate flavor
- From one of the many viewpoints, so many shades of green

No comments:

Post a Comment